Friday, January 18, 2008

First Post

Hello everyone - this is my first post on my garden blog. I have another blog called Adventures in High Fidelity which is related to electronics, home theatre and gadgets which is my other passion. Since I am also very interested in gardening, I thought it might be a fun to share my gardening adventures and experiences with all of you.


First some background about me: I am a software guy working for a software company in Pune. For those of you not familiar, Pune is a city on the Western part of India. It is located in the state of Maharashtra and is roughly 150 kms East of Mumbai. It has a population of about 5 million and a really nice climate which is sunny throughout with rain in May-July and cooler weather, which cannot really be called winter, around Nov-Feb. Overall the weather is really warm and sunny and is great for nice green gardens.


With that background out of the way, let's get straight into the garden and take a look at the blooms today.


Dahlias: I absolutely love Dahlias for their cheerful color and spirit. Dahlias love a sunny spot and need lots of water. This is one plant is very sensitive and starts drooping if I miss one watering. They need to be watered at least twice a day and are not very fussy otherwise. The large Dahlia blooms in multiple colors with a very beautiful radial arrangement of petals around a light yellow center. Its leaves are not much to look at but their flowers more than make up for it. All the Dahlias below are in small pots in my verandah and terrace areas.














I also have a bunch of baby Dahlias that are miniature plants with smaller flowers. These are planted in my flower bed.













That's it for this post, more flowers in future posts. Hope you enjoyed the flowers as much as I did.

No comments: