Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kingfisher Alert

Today morning I spotted a beautiful brown and blue winged Kingfisher (Halcyon Smyrnensis -thanks Friendly Neighbor) fiddling around near my garden around the lotus pond. I had long suspected that my guppy population in the lotus pond was declining and the fat big fishes seemed to be disappearing. Click on the picture below to get a larger image - the Kingfisher is sitting on the fence right above the lotus pond and to the right of the Bottlebrush and the Curry Leaf tree.





Now I am sure the Kingfisher has been snacking on my guppies - the lotus pond is quite shallow and its like shooting fish in a barrel so to speak. Here's another view of my winged guest - before I could take another shot from outside the window bars, it stretched it gorgeous blue wings rimmed with brown and black and took off. I am sure he will return.




But now I have to do something for the guppies - I guess increasing the leaf cover in the lotus pond so that the fish can hide more effectively could be one solution. I think taking a census count and attaching an RFID to each fish and monitoring and tracking them on my Blackberry might be another solution - Oh there goes my wife - I think she is calling up the mental asylum to check for vacancies :-)


There are many other beautiful birds around where I live, maybe I should do a post on the birds of the garden. However getting pictures of the birds will need a lot of patience so I guess I will have to collect the pictures over a period of time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you everwondered .. the Kingfisher spotted here is Halcyon smyrnensis. It's common name is White Throated Kingfisher. Get's it's name from the white spot on its throat that is slightly visible in one of the pics.

Maverick24 said...

Thanks Friendly Neighbor - I think you may be right about that white throat - its partially visible from the picture. BTW: The Kingfisher is looking straight at your garden - better hide your guppies :)